Thursday, May 10, 2007

Church – did they get it wrong?

I walked out of the law building and quickly hustled to the main campus. My next class was about to start in 15 minutes and the class was located at the opposite end of the campus. Mid-way through ‘university square’ (it’s the park that separates the law building from the main campus), this guy approaches me. He had a clean-cut look, hair neatly combed to one side, wearing an ironed-press shirt - didn’t look too suspicious.

“Hi”

“Em…hi,” I replied, uncertain whether he was talking to me. I certainly have not seen him before.

“I’m a missionary,” he says as he points to his name tag around his neck.

“That’s good,” I replied in a tone that said I-feel-a-little-awkward.

“How was your day? I usually come to this park and try to talk to certain people about their faith. Do you go to church?” he continued.

“My day was good and I do go to church actually – one that is in the city,” I said as I quicken my pace.

“Me too but mine is outside the city.”

“That’s great.”

There was an awkward silence as I reached the traffic light.

“Hey, I got to go now. I’m late for class,” I said as I was about to dash across the road.

“The light is turning red. You can’t cross the road.”

“Darn.” I silently cursed the traffic light.

So which church do you go to? Do you go there every Sunday?” he asked me.

I answered his questions shortly and awkwardly. I was getting a little agitated.

Approximately 2 minutes later, the pedestrian light turned green, I said a quick bye and dash off into freedom.

While continuing my journey to class in the liberty of my own solitude, I asked myself why did I feel what I felt. After all, he is a Christian and I’m a Christian. I realised that I always shy away from these street missionaries. The same few things that always enter my mind would be:-

- Could this be something dodgy?
- What does he really want?
- Do you expect me to pour out all my problems to you in the first few minutes of knowing you?
- Is this just about luring me to your beliefs?

Did the traditional church get it wrong? Is this the best way to get someone to be a Christ-follower. Is it just about converting someone to a Christian? If I, a Christian, feel scared about being approach by a street missionary, what more a non-Christian?

I guess for me, it’s not about luring a person to Jesus but allowing a person to see the love, hope and faith that God has placed in us. After all, we are made in the image of Christ.

1 comment:

Itscheryl said...

you know i feel the same thing =/