Saturday, August 11, 2007

It's my day

"Hi"

I looked up to see who it was. My heart sank a little when i saw who the person was. It wasn't because I didn't like the person. I think he is genuinely nice. We just didn't have too much to say to each other. Situations always get too awkward too quickly.

We exchanged the usual formalities of "how is studies, how is uni and how are you?" I replied with the typical asuperficial answers, "I'm doing well. Uni is okay." When we ran out of the usual topics, he casually asked me when my birthday was. I told him, 'sept 3rd' and asked him when his birthday was. He told me '2 weeks ago' Naturally, i asked him how did the day go.

He replied, 'my birthday was a bad day. Usually, a person receives a lot of affection and attention on your birthday. Affection and attention was something i never received in my life." He said this in a slightly sad tone yet he seemed to have accepted the situation he was in.

I didn't quite know what to say. I'm not much of a liar when it comes to things like this. I nodded my head and looked away. I can't pretend to be emphathatic because I've not been in his position before.

After a few more minutes of casual talk, he said "sorry to have taken up your time. You should get back to your lunch. It's getting cold". He seemed apologetic for taking up a few minutes of my time.

I told him that its not a problem and was glad to have chatted with him.

He took his bag and scurried off.

I breathed a sigh of guilt and relief. Relief because I didnt have to think up of more conversations. Guilt because I wish I could be more of a friend.

No comments: