Monday, September 29, 2008

The story of my computer and...me

To say I'm not the most IT savvy person out there is a real understatement. My laptop has been so mistreated by me to the point that almost everything in my computer has begun to fail. Tonight, it has reached the point that things couldn't work even in safe mode.

So, I made my regular SOS IT call to Kenneth, "Help, I don't know why but my computer is not working. Seriously, I didn't do anything. It's not my fault. Can you please come over?"

Our conversation tonight rightly illustrates how IT illiterate I am:

Jo: Em...my computer has no audio by the way. I don't know what happened but one day, my computer audio could not work without me plugging the speakers in.

...

Ken: What's wrong with your connection? I can't seem to connect to the Internet.

Jo: O, remember how I told you my wireless is spoilt. I think that occurred when I dropped my laptop.

Ken: That's fine but I still can't connect with the cable.

Jo: O, em...and my cable is loose too. You gotta stick it in properly

...

Ken: Hey your computer is running of battery. Where's your adapter?

Jo: Em, I don't know what happened but it just disappeared last week.

Ken: You lost your big arse adapter?!?!

Jo: Hm....yeah. Don't ask okay!!

...
*Kenneth picks up my external hard drive*

Jo: I'm so proud of myself. I purchased a hard drive.

Ken: It looks like a good one. Very proud of you. I presumed you purchased this a few years ago?

Jo: Em...actually er....this year. Okay, just a couple of months ago.

Ken: So before this, your files were never backed up?

Jo: Em...nope.

Ken: OMG. How big is your external hard drive?

Jo: Em...I don't know. It's quite big?

*Kenneth slaps his hand on his forehead*

Ken: So what's wrong with your Internet again?

Jo: O, when I click on any link using google search engine, it directs me to some google ad.

Ken: When did this problem start to occur?

Jo: Hm...a few days ago. Actually, its probably after I installed some program

Ken: What program is that?

Jo: I don't know. I was sleepy and I clicked yes. Hm, I think that's the problem.

Ken: OMG. Do you have AVG?

Jo: Hm...used to but not anymore.

...

Ken: So after reformatting your computer, what programs do you want reinstalled in your computer?

Me: Microsoft Office and Photoshop CS2. I don't have any of the installation cds

Ken: That means I have to walk home at midnight, grab it and come back here.

*A few minutes later, he browses through my cd case*

Ken: What is this?!?!?! Microsoft Office!!!

Jo: Oh yeah! I do have it!

*Few seconds later*

Ken: A second one!

*Few seconds later*

Ken: A third one! And Photoshop CS2!!!

Jo: Oops. HAHAHAHA.

Ken: Dont call me again next week about computer problems. I'll ask you to purchase a new laptop. And if you call me the week after, I'll delete your number.

....

Haha, re-reading what I wrote I seriously think I have a blond root somewhere. OMG.

....

Post-edit: My exam timetable just came out today! OMG, argh, I've been extremely slack this semester. Geek mode from today onwards at full blast!! 30 days! I will complete my audit assignment by today. Must must must.

11 comments:

Itscheryl said...

OMG lah joanneeeeee!!!!
i dunno what to say also !!!!

Anonymous said...

lalala, did i tell you? My crystal earring was once lost but now found =)

Joanne

Anonymous said...

....I laughed so hard reading ur post,i fell down from my chair,in the middle of the night,startling my whole house,lol...poor kenneth,he should start to charge u for all the work!!=p

Anonymous said...

YES wei chee. Poor kenneth. She didn't mention i went back home at 1am in the morn. :(

Itscheryl said...

haha joanne, next thing u're gonna tell me is that u lost it again.. dont lose it !

Joanne Khoo said...

wei chee: haha, glad i can entertain. Yeah, hm..I'm compensating kenneth for his effort. Promised to cook him dinner.

Kenneth: haha...thanks thanks.

Cheryl: hm...very plausible :P

Anonymous said...

salad: my sd card is suddenly not working =( dont know why. my computer and bro's computer cannot detect it. sigh



Joanne

Anonymous said...

salad: my sd card is suddenly not working =( dont know why. my computer and bro's computer cannot detect it. sigh



Joanne

valeriechuan said...

heheheh...joanne u're so hilarious!!...haha..i tot i was bad enough in comp stuffs..

even the batt adaptor missing?..

jo, i dont know what else to say too..luckily kenneth is around and not in subang!..heheheh

honestly, if kenneth is not there who would you call? or would you just get a new laptop for yourself?heheh

valeriechuan said...

to add one to my previous comments...did you cook a meal for Kenneth that day?

Joanne Khoo said...

hooi lian: if kenneth wasnt here...but, dont know. haha, die.

Yeah, we discussed dinner plans today. By that, i mean, I cook and he eats. haha.

Cooked a meal for him a couple of weeks ago though. Think he liked it. At least thats what he said. Unless he is trying to be nice =)