Tuesday, April 14, 2009

10 Day detox plan

As of yesterday, I've decided to go on a detox plan for 10 days! For the longest time, I've always had digestive problems - commonly known as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). IBS is a blanket term for a variety of diseases causing discomfort in the gastro-intestinal tract. In short, it's uncertain what's the exact causes for such gastro discomforts and there's no known cure for it. However, having a good lifestyle will definitely reduce the symptoms. So, I'm doing this detox plan for two reasons - to improve my digestive system and to decrease my fat percentage.

I've decided to go on a more relax plan - basically, a plan I can sort of sustain in the long-run. I rather do this than allow my body to go into starvation mode and in turn, reduce my metabolic rate. I currently take in about 1500 calories to 2000 calories per day (approximate count). I don't want to take in a lesser amount than that.

I foresee that my biggest challenge would be abstaining from pasta and white rice. I live to eat pasta! Sometimes I eat pasta for breakfast, lunch, dinner a few days in a row.

Below will be the food I'm allowed to consume:
Fresh fruits
Fresh vegetables
Egg whites
Feta cheese
White fish (no salmon or tuna)
Beans (Lots of beans! Main source of sustenance and protein)
Avocado
Seeds (I just bought a huge packet of sesame seeds)
Raw honey (Preferably manuka honey but its too expensive)
Sweet potato and pumpkin (for sustenance. No normal potatoes because its too starchy)
Soy milk
Muesli

On top of that, I'm following a herbal detox program from A. Vogel.


This is my diet so far. On impulse, I started this detox plan on Monday afternoon.



Monday – Day 1


Greek salad and roast vegetables for afternoon tea.

Dinner – muesli with milk [Yet to purchase soy milk] and mixed veges with beancurd.

Custard apple


Tuesday – Day 2

Muesli with milk [yet to purchase soy milk]

Banana

Roast vegetables + greek salad

Chick peas salad + kidney beans salad

[Body acting up a little. Probably not used to the sudden increase in fibre intake]

Pomegranate

Corn + pumpkin soup

Fish

Parsley + onions + tomato salad

Pear

Passion fruit

Eggs

Muesli with soy milk

Thursday – Day 4

[Digestive system has improved. Don’t feel as bloated and there’s less water retention]

Muesli with soy milk

Fish

Pear

Baby cos lettuce

[Feeling full but dissatisfied because I have not been eating rice/pasta nor drinking coffee]

Noodles [argh! I succumbed to temptation! =( I couldn’t resist. Mum was cooking it]

Fish

Smoothie

Friday – Day 5
[Is it only day 5? I’m not even half-way then. OMG.]

Passionfruit x2

Tofu

Lettuce






[To be continued]

Hopefully, my digestive system would improve after the 10 days (it better!). Then, I would re-introduce brown rice and occasional unhealthy eating (on weekends) to my system.

Wish me luck!

No comments: