Monday, April 06, 2009

Von Haus, Melbourne

On Saturday night, J and I took the opportunity to dine at Von Haus. The first time I was there was two weeks ago for Krystin's birthday. As I didn't try any of the dishes the first time round, I've decided to venture there again.

I must say that the second visit proved to be an equally delightful experience.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
I had cacciatore sausauge, chickpea and olive stew with sourdough bread on the side. Price: $16. The cacciatora sausage was relatively strong in flavour. This was balanced out by the mild gravy and chickpeas. The gravy had a tinge of herb-y taste. The tomatoes added a little bit of sweetness to the dish. Overall, it was a pretty light and healthy dish. It's not one for a meat lover but it was perfect for someone like me who preferred simple yet delicious meals.

Photobucket
J had the beef mushroom & casserole with potato salad and sourdough bread on the side. Price: $16. The gravy was relatively rich in flavour, infused in bay leaves and other herbs. The gravy was of the right consistency. However, the beef could be just a tad more tender. Overall, I think the dish was pretty good.

Although the dishes ain't nothing fancy, I give two thumbs up for this place. The dishes looked like something that were whipped up in someone's grandmother's kitchen. This is no surprise, as the restaurant brands itself as "rustic", evident with its red and white enamel plates. With so many commercial restaurants popping up serving artery-clogging dishes, sometimes I prefer simpler meals. J said it right, "taste like a home-cooked meal".

O, apparently they serve different dishes everyday at the chef's fancy. Looks like I'll never be bored of this place with it's ever changing menu.

Photobucket
There are three tables in the courtyard. The picture is blurry because I took a quick, shaky snapshot of it. I was too embarrassed taking so many pictures of the tiny restaurant. I felt like an Asian tourist.

Photobucket
Satisfied customer

Von Haus
1a Crossley Street, Melbourne
(off Bourke St, between Exhibition St and Spring St)
Phone: (03) 9662 2756
Hours: Mon-Fri 11am-11pm, Sat 5pm-11pm

3 comments:

k said...

jo!

haha looks soo yummy! and you look v satisfied and happy.

I like VH at night :) it's an awesome supper-place!

how's lawschool going?

xoxo

Joanne Khoo said...

its yummy. And I was quite satisfied =)

Done with law school. Doing college of law now =(

k said...

ohh tht's good, how's that going!

is it all online based? do you have lots of assignments or any on-site stuff?

when will you finish?