Friday, July 03, 2009

San Francisco - Day 2 - Shopping downtown, Transformers

We started our day with lunch at a very authentic-looking Japanese restaurant located on Post Street, near our hotel. I was thrilled that the sashimi chef and most other patrons were Japanese. It only means that the food is good.

#1
Photobucket
J's beef on rice

#2
Photobucket
Katsu chicken

We then proceeded to walk down Post Street, towards Union Square. I head inside my all-time favourite US store - Victoria's Secret. Why don't we have this brand in Australia?!? I grinned from ear to ear upon seeing the huge SALE sign! How wonderful. And to top it off, today was the first day of the special promotion - nighties were 50% off on top of their already reduced price! I bought a nightie that was only $8 when its original price was about $39. Poor J waited for over an hour for me (okay, I lied, its probably 2 hours). He entertained himself by replying e-mails on his blackberry. After that, I kept apologizing profusely and said, "I'm not usually like this but everything is so cheap and nice!" Sigh.

Total damage: $400. Very painful.

#3
Photobucket
Very extensive receipt

I told J I'll treat him ice cream in return for waiting for me (tip: A man's happiness is through his stomach). We head to the famous Cheesecake Factory that's located above Macy's, Union Square. The Cheesecake Factory is a famous American franchise. The company currently operates 146 dining outlets in the U.S. This place reminds me of Swanson's, only better. We are yet to try their famous cakes.

#4
Photobucket

#5
Photobucket
Outside courtyard on the 8th floor of the Macy's building

#6
Photobucket
Forgot to take pictures of their food.

#7
Photobucket
View of Union Square

J then headed back to do some work. I continued shopping. Notable stores were Forever 21 and Zara (why doesn't these stores exist in Australia)?

#8
Photobucket
Forever 21, 7 Powell Street, San Francisco.

Image taken from here

#9
Photobucket

Image taken from here

#10
Photobucket
The shop occupied three levels

Image taken from here


We met up again at 7.30 pm, had dinner at Firewood Pizza café in the Metreon*. We share a salad and pasta. That's fast becoming our typical meal to order in an American joint. I find the American portions extremely huge and cannot finish a meal by myself.

#11
Photobucket
The pastas in a typical American joint are always very cheesy. Americans must love their cheese.

#12
Photobucket
Huge bowl of salad

We then watched Transformers 2 in the cinema at Metreon.

#13
Photobucket
*Metreon is a shopping center located in downtown San Francisco at the corner of 4th St. and Mission St

The interesting thing about many of the cinemas here is that there are no allocated seating. This means that we have to arrive pretty early in the cinema to secure good seats. Also, their cinema menu is very extensive - hot pizza, fried chicken pieces, nachos, hotdog, etc. On top of that, what amazed me was the butter popcorn. You can add your own BUTTER DRIPPING from the self-serve dispenser to drip over your already buttered popcorn. Oh goodness, imagine the calorie count.

4 comments:

Itscheryl said...

haha why u forgot to take pic of the food.. looks nice the place.. what a fun adventure ! loving ur photos

Itscheryl said...

btw cheese... so gooodddd !

Joanne Khoo said...

haha, i know. I just forgot. Just wanted to eat at that moment.

But its soooo cheesy. Cheese overdose! After 3 days in America, I had enough of American diners. Say no to greasy diners.

Itscheryl said...

hehe if i stay there for sure put on weight