Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Gossip

I remember one significant moment when I was 14. One day, this friend of mine told me that she didnt want to be acquainted with me any longer because rumours had it that I was arrogant and flirtatious. I was deeply shocked and hurt because I considered her my close friend. I remember feeeling sad for the next week or two and I asked my dad why were there such mean people in this world that would gossip about me in that manner. He told me that the world was mean and that I had to be not affected by it. Anyway, probably out of forced circumstances (we were in the same class) she was forced to talk to me and we soon grew to be extremely close friends. At the end of the year, she told me that she was eternally grateful for our friendship because it forced her out of her shell, she became more sociable and outspoken, it vastly improved her English which made her attained positions that she would never have gotten if she didnt mix with me.

The point of this is that, I remember telling myself that I would never ever be bothered about what the world thinks about me any longer - as long I held on to my principles.Well, lately I've found it harder to block out such gossips. Because it hurts when people b*itch about me without really knowing me, it suffocates when I don't have the space to tell my story, it suffocates when I can't confront them.

Okay, just to redeem my self-esteem here, here's what I believe:
I'm NOT as selfish as some people paint me
I'm NOT as demanding as some people paint me
I'm NOT as bitchy as some people paint me
I'm NOT flipping out in life

There, I said it. That's enough. And right now, I've decided that I said my piece and I'll revert back to my old mantra - back to when I was 14.

No comments: