Monday, April 14, 2008

Pork-ed out

I decided to go Jap for dinner tonight. Yesterday, for some strange reason I was craving for pork. I normally never crave for red meat. Perhaps the time of the month is coming and I'm lacking in iron?? Who knows. Anyway, I bought pork cutlets and cooked them for lunch today. I just cooked them with whatever ingredients I had at home. Then, I decided to try cooking it tonkatsu pork cutlet style. Basically, its crumbed pork cutlets with a Japanese flavoured sauce on rice. So, this evening, I went to the supermarket, purchased more pork cutlets, got some bread crumbs and whatever necessary ingredients to prepare my meal.

The first batch of pork cutlets were burnt because the oil was too hot~! I had to scrap off the burnt bits and refry them. The 2nd batch turned out alright - the colour was perfect but it wasnt crispy enough. I made some sauce, (The sauce turned out great, if i may say so myself =) ). added some seaweed, cooked some veges and then finally placed the pork cutlets on rice. My first Jap meal this week. Home-cooked this time.

I'm dissatisfied with the crust of the pork cutlets. I read somewhere that if you refrigerate/freeze them before you fry them, you get a crispy crust. I'm gonna try that next
time. Probably next week. I cant eat anymore pork this week. I'm not a huge red meat fan. So, pork-ing out twice today was really pushing the limit. Speaking of which, I have one more piece of leftover pork cutlet sitting in the fridge right now. Urgh.

p/s: No pics this time. My camera hasnt been fixed yet. Plus, I wasnt 100% satisfied with it. Practice makes perfect. Will try to refine this recipe before giving it out.

pps: I bought a huge tub of choc plus vanila ice cream~! Initially, i grabbed a box of 4 cornetto ice cream cones. But as I walked down the aisle, my eyes were fixated on the boxes of ice cream cones that came in 12~!. Hey, why buy 4 cornetto cones when you can make lots and lots of your own cornetto ice cream. So, i happily traded the boxes and dumped the huge tub of ice cream into the trolley.

5 comments:

Itscheryl said...

oh ice cream yum
jap.. yum !
haha u making me crave for them so bad
and i crave more for food when i cant enjoy them now (the tooth)

when i first read the first sentence, i thought u went to japan just for dinner haha

Joanne Khoo said...

haha, i wish i went jap just for dinner~!

Itscheryl said...

haaha that would take too long
6 hours flight from your place ? =P

clare said...

I started craving red meat after reading your post and went out to buy a steak! YUM.

Joanne Khoo said...

haha, us girls and our cravings~!!