Monday, November 03, 2008

30 random thoughts in bullet point form:

1) I love my mac. I think I’ve mentioned that to almost every other person I’ve spoken to in the past two weeks. The mac has become a cult. It generates a mass following. It might be a tad expensive, but heck its worth it. I justify this by saying that with a mac, I desire to produce better work on it. After all, such pretty things should only be used to produce quality results. Or perhaps I’m too easily satisfied after using my old laptop that as a result of abuse (or wear and tear as I would to call it), had no working audio system, no working wireless hardware and a blank screen when turned on.

2) Speaking of which, I love my moleskin too. It’s really expensive for a notebook. After all, it serves the same practical purpose as a 1 dollar notebook. But, good notebooks tend to inspire, no?

3) I broke out in rash yesterday. Again. And I’ve been scratching. Urgh.

4) Been getting the travelling bug. I’m itching to travel. I’m thinking of visiting Cambodia. But I don’t want to go there just to see the usual touristy sites such as the infamous Angkor Wat. I actually want to be immersed in the culture. Perhaps spend a month or two there and do some volunteer work there.

5) Speaking of which, do you know Angkor Wat has only recently been discovered?

6) O, and it was used in the Tomb Raider set?

7) I also want to visit Turkey, Egypt, South America and Morocco.

8) I’m an introvert. I find joy in sitting in cafes alone, with a coffee, curled up with a book in one hand and a cup of coffee in another.

9) I’m actually doing that right now. Except that I have an orange juice in one hand (finished my coffee) and a mac on the table.

10) I still can’t work my wireless on my mac.

11) I realised I like my gadgets in silver. I have a canon ixus, an LG shine and a silver Macbook.

12) When I think I look too pale and tired, I try to wear brighter clothing. Hopefully, it will make me look a little less sickly. Then Ill hear less comments of, ‘Are you sick? You look so pale. You look tired.’

13) Yesterday, I didn’t eat the entire day till 9.30 pm and I drank water from the bathroom tap because there was a moth in the living room. I didn’t dare step out in case I encountered the moth. That cunning creature was laying low and was hiding. Hm, wonder what’s a moth life span. When will it die? Note to self: check it up online. Do you know a cockroach can live up to 9 days without its head and it only dies because of starvation? O, and do you know the elephant is the only animal that cannot jump?

14) I discovered guitar hero a couple of days ago. My favourite songs in guitar hero III are ‘When you were young’ and ‘Cliffs of Dover’. My skill level is currently medium. I find that I’m better at songs that require the swift changing of notes rather than rhythm. I’m not born to be a drummer.

15) This dude two tables away has been staring at me weirdly for the past 5 minutes. Sometimes when people do that, I check myself out and wonder whether I’m wearing my shirt inside out or something. Just like the other day, I wore my shirt inside out to the gym. I tried covering the tag at the side so that it didn’t appear too obvious.

16) I hate wearing my specs. Not only its aesthetically uncool but my eye muscles seem to be very strained from wearing them. It’s like holding up a dumbbell with a curled arm for a couple of minutes. And when you finally let go, you can physically feel your muscle relax. I don’t get that with contact lenses though. Does anyone else feel the same way?

17) Recently, when I’m bored, I play chess against the computer. Initially, it almost destroyed my self-esteem because I kept losing. Then I searched ‘help’ and I realise that I can switch the preference to ‘easy’. It definitely helped redeem my self-esteem when my pawn could easily eat the computer’s queen. Cheap thrill. But then I got bored because it was too easy.

18) I haven’t been taking pictures with my camera ever since my SD card died on me. I took a couple of pictures with my phone. Never thought I’ll succumb to such low quality pictures.

19) The kid I’ve been sponsoring have sent me two letters complete with drawings. I haven’t written back. Note to self: Will do it by this week.

20) Speaking of which, in one of my recent trips back, I’ve stumbled across my drawings when I was about 5 years old. It sure was ugly. And I sure wasn’t creative. It’s always a picture of a house with a sharp roof, two windows (no more and no less) and one door. Then, there’s a drawing of me, mum, dad, brother and maid. And of course, there’s the sun with a couple of clouds and birds. Perhaps a tree or two. When I feel more creative, I add a couple of flowers and fence.

21) In the past 3 months, I’ve only bought 2 pairs of stockings, 1 dress, 3 pairs of shoes and 1 pair of sandals. Kuddos to that.

22) But I will need to buy a fascinator soon as I’ll be going for the Melbourne Cup. I don’t want to stick out like a sore thumb being the only lady with no frills on her head.

23) When my house is dirty, I lose my appetite.

24) In my next trip to KL, I want to explore all the good food stalls at Petaling Street. I want to step into the little dirty alley lanes and try all the yummy food. I also want to go to ‘Pasar Malam’ and eat asam laksa, salted chicken and buy back ‘kaya pao’. For nostalgic reasons, more than anything.

25) I like street food. In my last trip to Bangkok, Cheryl and I ate street food every single meal except for that one breakfast we had at our hostel and our lunch at Pattaya.

26) In my next trip to Singapore, I want to visit Arab St, Little India and Haji Lane.

27) Be in a geek in something and I’ll like you. Maybe its because I want to be like you.

28) My little cousin’s attention span fascinates me. He spends two hours drawing every single day. At 6, he could draw cars in 3 dimensions. He even drew in details of rims, windows and headlights. He draws better than I do and whilst walking down Orchard road, he names all the cars we see. Once I pointed to a picture in a car magazine, which only revealed the car’s window because the rest of it was obscured by another car. I asked him to name me the car brand, thinking that he won’t be able to guess. He answered, ‘BMW’. “How do you know?” I asked. He replied irritatedly, “Haiyah, so easy. Just look at the window. BMW windows look like that. Don’t ask me such easy questions.”

29) Whilst reading the same car magazine (by reading, I mean looking at pictures), he pointed to model who was posing with a car. He turned to me and say, “why is her shirt so short (she wore a mid-riff blouse). She is so ugly, no need to wear so short.” Girls and cars. That boy starts young.

30) I’ve put on 2 kgs this year and I think its here to stay. How now, brown cow? I was going to wear this dress for the upcoming Melbourne Cup which I wore for Ann’s 21st 1 ½ years ago. But I realised that I couldn’t fit into it. I couldn’t even do up the buttons. I’ve removed the buttons and will be sewing them closer to the edges. Oh dear.

Backdated to last Saturday

p/s: Cant sleep to fall asleep. Its 3.30 am!

2 comments:

Yan said...

i get that too when i wear glasses! my eyes actually feel more tired and swollen than wearing contacts.. weird. anyway, hope you managed to get a fascinator in time! have fun at the cup! =)

Anonymous said...

Oh dear - Jo is getting large :D

What is a fascinator? Sounds fascinating :p

Just got back from a 5 week trip to Msia/Spore on which I ate everything and yes, all those things on your list too. Now though the thing I miss the most is the weather as it is subzero in London atm

Weird guy staring at u? Maybe he'd just spent all day with ugly ppl, and his staring is a refection of your sudden beauty? :p This may happen more often than you realise.

Email me sometime with where you're at

Hugs, Tim