Friday, November 30, 2007

Day out + Restaurant reviews

I heart Bangsar! Bangsar rocks =) For me, Bangsar has always been a place to party (eat, drink and be merry) but never a place for me to shop. Today, Wei Chee brought me to all these nice boutiques at Bangsar (Jalan Telawi 2). The clothes there are sooo cheap!!! Seriously! A dress for RM 69~! I reserved a dress there. Am gonna pick it up either tomorrow or the day after.

Pheebs, I envy you =)

Xenri Japanese Cuisine

If you love sashimi as much as I do, this is THE place to go. Seriously. It's definitely value for money. The sashimi grade is as good as the Jap restaurant at KL Hilton or Shangri-La Hotel but it's half the price. The restaurant only uses premium ingredients and raw products flown directly from Japan twice a week.

It's a small little establishment off Old Klang Road. It's not very visible and it's fame is only spread by the word of mouth or occasionally, reviews in newspapers. If you enjoy sashimi such as raw prawns, mackerel, sea urchin, raw scallops, butter fish, yellow fin, blue fin tuna, you definitely walk out with a happy stomach. The salmon melts in your mouth *drool* Being a small joint, the service there is excellent. The chef and the waiters know their stuff and are extremely courteous. Nowadays, courtesy is a rare virtue in Malaysia. The dishes are well decorated - the largest platter of sashimi is served on a wooden boat with ice. Our platter had an ice igloo on it.

The head chef is the guy called Kew whom my family had followed religiously for years from when he was working at the Renaissance Hotel. My parents know him pretty well and even attended his wedding.

I recommend:
Chef's Special Sashimi platter (its premium sashimi served with freshly grated wasabi)

Special House maki

Spider Maki

Suki Yaki

Lunch bento box

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No. 9 Wisma Elken
Lorong 4/137C
Batu 5, Jalan Kelang Lama
Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-7783 8118
Business Hrs: Daily, 11am-10pm

Delicious cafe

Wei Chee and I patroned Delicious cafe, Bangsar for lunch today. They have a few branches in Klang Valley. There's a nice comfortable feel to that place - you know, when you feel at ease and certain that you won't piss them off for ordering just water (as oppose to juice or coffee) and sitting there a tad too long. I ordered the seafood speghetti and Wei Chee ordered the open-faced chicken sandwich.

My pasta was not too bad. Actually, its probably pretty good by Malaysian standards. I've tasted some really bad pasta in KL. That being said, I had really bad pasta at one of the restaurants in Melbourne Central the other night. The pasta was olive oil base and they garnished it with basil. It had the right amount of salt but in my opinion, the olive oil could have been a little stronger and they were a little stingy on the seafood. But again, I'm very picky when it comes to pasta. I give it a 7/10.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I didn't try the chicken sandwich but it does look good =)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Delicious cafe by Ms Reed
Bangsar Village 2
Bangsar

Ah Wa

I kid you not, this place serves the best "tai chow" (big stir fry) noodles. I recommend the Hokkien noodles in all its greasy glory. Its serve with deep fried lard as well (all authentic hokkien noodles must be served with the lard). Today, we ordered 'Ikan Bakar' as well (sting ray). The table's consensus was, 'its not too bad. It's not overly burnt'.

I dont have pictures as I was too busy stuffing myself with food.

Ah Wa
Jalan 66, Jalan 14/48
Petaling Jaya
(the corner coffee shop behind the shell station on jalan 222)



p/s: I just strolled into my parents room and found my dad watching 'Animal Planet'. My dad is such an interesting character to observe =) Cheryl and I always get a kick from observing him. He does and says the funniest things. He loves watching Animal PLanet - more accurately, he loves watching episodes on the typical animals such as lions and crocodiles. heh. Lions arent that interesting to observe are they?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jo! Serious Droology hon :P So far even Selfridges Jap hasn't quite been as good as Japan :(! Keep up the good work ^_^

Joanne Khoo said...

hey tim~! Hope youre going well =) THe jap food here is awesome. I would bring you here if you were in msia!