Friday, July 25, 2008

Pulau Redang, Terengganu, Malaysia

No vacation break feels complete without a family getaway. This time, we decided to head to Pulau Redang for our family trip as my brother and I haven’t been there before. Pulau Redang was more beautiful than I imagined. White sandy beaches, crystal blue sea and warm balmy tropical weather are definitely a perfect combination for a relaxing holiday.

As the water surrounding Pulau Redang is home to some 3,000 species of fish, 1.000 of species of bivalves and 500 species of reef-building coral, it made a spectacular snorkelling experience. Initially, my brother and I snorkelled with our lifejacket on as it was recommended by the guide. But by the second day, we decided to free ourselves from the restriction of the lifejacket. It was so much more fun! We could do mini-diving trips and peep underneath corals. Pretty amazing experience. My favourite fish was definitely the clown fish (Nemo!). I found that clown fish are generally shy and easily stressed. They love hiding in their little seaweed homes. So I took some bread pieces and stuffed in their little homes. Other fish would then try to grab the bread from the seaweed. The clown fish would get stressed out and try to defend their homes by swimming around it. So funny! I could do that the entire day. If only I didn’t have to keep resurfacing to gasp for more air.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Spot the eel?

O, by accident, I almost fed a 2-metre long eel (a different eel from the picture above). We spotted a huge fish and I decided to chase after the fish to see whether it would eat the bread off my hand. So I took a deep breathe and quickly swam after the fish. But the fish, unsurprisingly, outswam me. I tried searching for the fish but efforts were in vain. A couple of seconds later, I turned around and spotted something that looked like the fish. I swam closer to it and then, hesitated. It looked slightly different from the other fish. It took me a good 10 seconds to realise that it was in fact, it was pretty different. It was a humungous eel with a neck the size of a tree trunk. Needless to say, I scrambled out of that area pretty quickly.

Photobucket
A better view of the eel

Photobucket

My brother and I love to watch the fish in their natural habitats. My dad on the other hand, had different interests. He was cute. He was like a little boy when thrown into the water. He bought loaves of bread to feed the fish in the sea. Usually, its difficult to identify one person snorkelling from another as everybody looks similar especially with the orange lifejacket on. However, it was easy to spot my dad underwater. Just spot the person with hundreds of fish tailing him. Its such a hilarious sight! The fish lover swam with loaves of bread in his hands while the fish try to nib from the loaves. Sometimes it was like a tug-of-war between man and fish. He had to keep covering the opening of the bread bag while the entourage of fish attack his loaves all at once.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
The film set of the Hong Kong show, 'Summer Holiday' staring Sammi Cheng and Richie Ren . The show was filmed here at Laguna Hotel beach front.

Photobucket
Richie Ren's character name was "More more tea" and the Inn was called "More more tea Inn". It took me a while to get my head around that one.

2 comments:

Itscheryl said...

eheh looks so fun and even more so with the underwater photos
cant believe u cracked the cd !!!
(actually i can.. but i wanted to say that.. =P)

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures, very clear underwater shots, may I know what camera are you using?