Saturday, May 09, 2009

Day out at Footscray

This morning, a couple of us headed down to Footscray for breakfast. FYI, Footscray is a Vietnamese-migrant saturated area. It is fast becoming my favourite hang out joint. Let me tell you why.

Firstly, while waiting for the rest, Ann, Jas and I strolled into a Vietnamese bakery. I couldn't wait for breakfast and wanted my food NOW. So, I decided to order a Vietnamese roll. It was absolutely delightful and worth every penny. And it was healthy to boot. The bread itself was a french baguette. FYI, french baguette is part of the Vietnamese staple diet because the French once invaded Vietnam. The french baguette was stuffed with slices of pork ham and beef ham with lots of vegies such as carrots, radish, lettuce etc and it was dripping with a slightly sweet and spicy sauce. So yummy. It definitely beats a conventional sandwich. Good food, tick~!

When the rest arrived, Ives brought us to a local Vietnamese restaurant that served pho. I LOVE pho. Actually, I love most type of noodles. This pho in particular tasted pretty authentic. The soup was quite tasty and it didnt have too much msg in it. More good food, tick tick~!

After breakfast, we headed to a store that sold yong tau foo. The fish paste used look so fresh! And we were definitely spoilt for choice. They sold most types that I can think of at the top of my head. I picked out a few pieces for dinner tonight.

Next, we headed to the market to buy chicken bones. I'm planning to make some chicken stock for dinner tonight. Oh my~! Seriously, I had a real shock entering the market. It didn't feel like Melbourne. For one second, I thought I was back in Vietnam. I kept telling Ann, "Oh my goodness, I feel like we are back in Hanoi! Look at those people selling food illegally by the side of the streets with their little baskets." The market was absolutely packed with people. Most of the vendors probably originated from Vietnam because they were speaking in Vietnamese. Although the place was pretty packed, I didnt mind because I do like crowds. I like busy streets and just watching people in general. The best part about the market is that, they were pretty liberal with their free fruit tasting. Ives and I probably tasted about 10 different sort of fruits today. And to top it off, most of the stuff sold there is relatively cheap compared to other markets or the supermarkets. I might make it a weekly routine to head to Footscray for breakfast and marketing from now on. Ten ticks for Footscray!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dear jojo!!!
welcome to the good side=))
hahaha catch up soon and ill bring u to more of footscray deepest secrets!!!

love
ives.

Joanne Khoo said...

Becoming a westside girl soon.

O, the other day, i went to Springvale. OMG, its an even bigger Footscray!!! Seriously...so chaotic. But i loved it deep down inside =)