Monday, May 25, 2009

Of passing days

Yesterday
#1
Yesterday J and I visited the Camberwell flea market. Loved it. Lots of hidden treasures. From lego pieces, vintage dresses, bags to computers.

Of memorable quotes:
a. Me pointing to an unknown object that looked like an extinct computer that’s older than me. “What’s that? Is that a computer?” I asked the man mending the stall.

“It’s the latest computer in the market,” he said with a straight face without batting an eyelid.

b. One seller took a look at the price on one her vases and said to friend, "Hm...I think this vase is too cheap." She then proceeded to replace the price tag of $15 to $30. 100% increment in price. So arbitrary. That was a common trend in the market.

Photobucket
Cute buttons and little trinkets

Photobucket
Vintages dresses hung on a green wooden fence

Photobucket
Second hand books and an old sewing machine at the back of someone's ute

Photobucket
Posing with children's books. I saw lots of pre-owned Enid Blyton books! <3

#2
Yesterday, we also rockclimbed. We have been doing so, two weekends consecutively. I must say that I did pretty badly yesterday. My muscles are apparently still sore from last weekend. I have underdeveloped muscles. Sigh. There was a route (Grade 16) that I tried completing a few times but failed because of my lack of height. I just couldn’t reach the next handhold. It was frustrating because I knew what to do technically but I didn’t have the strength to do what was effectively a chin up.

Photobucket
Attempting the said uncompleted route. Sigh. Was carrying a chalk bag. My palms get really sweaty when I climb.

Photobucket

#3
Yesterday after rockclimbing, we proceeded to watch Wall-E on blu-ray disc. My first blu-ray film. I must say the quality is so much better than a dvd quality. J managed to get it for an extremely cheap price - $20 at the Camberwell flea market. It’s usually about $40.

Memorable quotes from Wall-E:

“Wall-EeEeeEeeEE….”

“EVaaaAaAaaaaaa….”

“Wall-EeEeeEeeEE….”

“EVaaaAaAaaaaaa….”

“Wall-EeEeeEeeEE….”

“EVaaaAaAaaaaaa….”

“Wall-EeEeeEeeEE….”

“EVaaaAaAaaaaaa….”

X 1000000000…..

Enough said.

That was about the only dialogue in the entire film.

My verdict? Hm….it’s great for kids I guess.

Movie theme: Save the earth, don’t pollute, exercise and don’t get fat or else, you’ll start rolling around like bowling balls.

Today

#1
Today I passed by a man who was writing with black ink on an envelope. I peered closer and saw that he was writing an address on it with neat handwriting. More envelopes sat uniformly on his table. I imagined that he was writing to his family who lived 1000000 miles away and that made smile =)

#2
Today I was sent an updated picture of my sponsored child. Attached to the picture is a short update of the child’s profile. It reads:

Thanks for your love and support, D is presently in level 1 of primary school in Honduras, which is equivalent to first grade in Australia. His performance is making steady progress.

Soccer, art and riding a bike are D’s favourite recreational activities…

D lives with his mother. His mother occasionally works as a labourer. D works at home carrying water, doing odd jobs and cleaning. There are 5 children in the family….

#3
Today, I had lunch with Sue. After walking up and down Flinders Lane, we settled at café Frais, a small café in an alley off Flinders Lane. We both have an affinity for little tucked away cafes in quaint lanes. Sue had a quiche filled with a variety of wild mushrooms. The quiche came straight from a piping hot oven. The crust was crumbly. Quite impressive.

I had a penne carbonara. The cream tasted pretty fresh but I’m not the best judge for carbonara dishes as it’s my first carbonara dish in years as I’m slightly lactose/cream/fat intolerant. I didn’t finish it lest I’ll get a tummy upset later.

Café Frais opened three months ago. Everything is freshly made. Do patronise the place. Good cafes are hard to come by in the city these days.


Café Frais
Flinders Lane
Between Swanston St and Russell St

Photobucket
A lane off Flinders Lane

Photobucket
Cafe Frais signboard

Photobucket
Penne carbonara and hidden quiche with complimentary salad in background

2 comments:

Yan said...

Jo dearie, it's really been interesting following your recent posts about *ahem* J. he seems like a really nice person, hope i do get to meet him one day. =)it's always very interesting to see how love blossoms, how you get through those trials, and how it matures the relationship. =) missing melbourne (sigh, didn't get to visit Camberwell market at all in those 6 yrs! those vintage dresses are lovely!) and you gals.. =( take care and love lots!

Joanne Khoo said...

Thanks yan =) haha..yeah...romance stories always spark interest.

yeah...camberwell market is awesome~! so cheap...i bought this very nice top completely with fake gem stones etc...for only $5.

*hugs*