Friday, March 20, 2009

Amelia, 2001 French film

Couldn't really sleep again last night. Sigh. Ended up watching Amelia, the French film. Its pretty good. Very arthouse. I think I need it watch it again to fully appreciate the film.

Photobucket

I loved the cinematography. I don't quite know the technical terms for the style. But throughout the entire movie, I kept thinking that many of the scenes would provide beautiful lomography still shots.

I was slightly disturbed by the movie. I can't quite put a finger to why I felt this way. I ended up having absurd abstract dreams about the movie. My dream was like an arthouse film of the arthouse film. So queer. I think it's because I can't quite figure out the one underlying running theme in the film - the one that makes you go, ah, that's why this film was made.

In a nutshell, the movie was about a young girl, Amelia, who spends most of her life camouflaged in the background. She had an emotionally detached dad and a pretty eccentric mother who died because someone landed on her in the process of committing suicide. Two deaths in one day. She spends most of her life basically watching life goes by. She is pretty much an observer who prefers indulging in the simple stuff in life. To cut the story short, one day, she finds this tin box filled with a boy's childhood items. She then made it her mission to return this tin box to him. She thought to herself, if she gets a positive reaction upon handing the tin box to the man, she will make it her mission in life to continue doing good for others. A little like Mother Teressa, I suppose. So, she goes on trying to add a little happiness to everybody's lives. Soon, she meets this queer boy who likes collecting discarded photographs of strangers from passport photo booths. And she falls in love with him. Perhaps because in a way, he was like her, different and detached from the rest of the world. It took her a long time to overcome her shyness and reveal her love for him, but she finally does and they get together.

It's a little hard to relate to Amelia because she's pretty much 'larger than life'. It's an arthouse film after all. But, you cant help but like her innocence and purity.

In short, it's a good film. Go watch it if you haven't.

1 comment:

Vasu said...

Hey Joanne thank for writing about Amelia…
I watched it in French… the language that I don’t understand at all. But surely that was not the barrier. I totally loved Amelia. This is a little different movie. The way her childhood is pictured and her weird parents, the ways that she tries to trouble the bad guys and her ways to make good guys happy…. it’s all very amusing. Her encounters with the photographer that she loves and the introversion within her – very well plotted.

Overall it’s a very cute movie. And each character in this movie is unique. Guys go ahead and get to know Amelia. I am sure you will love this funny, naughty, charming, cute lady.. :)