Friday, March 20, 2009

Update on learning Chinese

I've been learning Chinese for over seven weeks now. I'm happy to say that I've improved heaps since I've first started. More than anything, the weekly classes serve as a motivational tool and guilt-tripping tool - "CRAP, I'M SO FAR BEHIND!" I'm not as discipline as I should be when it comes to practicing Chinese. The thing about languages is that you need to be very consistent with practicing the language. I have a couple of friends that I try to speak Chinese to. I speak to them on one condition - that they will attempt to the best of their abilities, to not laugh at my horrendous Chinese.

Aside from that, I've been trying to write weekly letters in Chinese to WC. The content of the letters are usually something simple - such as, "How are you? Today I played tennis..." But, I'm getting there! My last letter was two pages long. That's a real achievement for me. Of course, I couldnt do it without the help of the dictionary.

In addition, I've been trying to write Chinese e-mails. I wrote a couple of e-mails to Ann. haha. The Mac comes with an inbuilt chinese dictionary. Another reason to buy a Mac!

Any volunteer recipients for my Chinese letters/emails? I'll allow you to laugh at my Chinese in secret.

No comments: