Sunday, March 22, 2009

Krystin's birthday brunch

Saturday morning saw me at Krystin's birthday brunch. It was held at Von Haus, a quaint small cafe-cum-bar in Melbourne. Believe me when I say it was small. It was probably the size of my room. It had just one big communal table in the middle and a couple of wall benches complete with high wooden stools in the corners of the room. But that's exactly what I liked about this cafe. When I walked in, I thought, "This is just so MELBOURNE!" Melbourne is about its little cafes with GOOD coffees hidden in alleyways. Discovering a new hidden gem always sends a thrill of excitement up my spine. This is no exception.

Now, the thing about these hideaway cafes is that you always THINK you're the only one that knows about these hidden treasures. You keep them low-key and perhaps, whisper their names to a couple of intimate friends that you should share the good news with. Lo and behold, you soon realise that those cafes are not such a secret! Then you curse the food blogs and the papers that made you discover those cafes in the first place.

Honestly, I didn't manage to sample much of the food. I think I was too excited upon seeing people I have not met up with in a long, long time. Namely, law school friends. I had a mocha. It was pretty decent. I had some fruits off the fruit platter that Krystin ordered. I tried pomegranate for the first time. YES, first time! It was so yummy. Fruits aside, I didn't eat anything much else. I vouch to go back there again, and will give you guys a decent review.

Picture time

Photobucket
That's the large communal table

Photobucket
Lovely Krystin who looks so happy!

Photobucket
Tony was there as well

Photobucket
Krystin prepared party packs for all of us! In it were chocolates and a note written specifically for each one of us. I was so impressed. It almost felt like it was MY birthday. She's so thoughtful and generous! For most people, birthdays are about receiving. But Krystin was so selfless. She requested for no presents. Instead, if we wanted, we could partner with her and donate some money to specific charity funds that she has chosen.

Krystin, you are really inspirational. You have such a big heart, a laugh and smile that is contagious and you have so much love to give. Oh, and I always love reading your blog. Though sometimes, your fabulous writing puts me to shame. Thanks for everything. I thoroughly enjoyed our friendship. I still remember the day we spent together studying Administrative law. I was such a wreak that day. Without your help, I might not have even passed that subject (omg, another semester of law school. Kill me God) Looking back, it seems even sadistically funny. Remember how we kept complaining to each other about how we hate law school and how we are definitely going to fail this subject. And then we would both tell each other that no, we are not going to fail. We can and will pull through. Following which, we continued studying for another one hour before the vicious cycle repeats itself. That 15 hours with no breaks in between, not even for lunch or dinner, save two rushed toilet breaks, was probably one of the craziest days but I'm glad I went through that with you. haha. Happy birthday sweetie!


Von Haus
1a Crossley Street, Melbourne
(off Bourke St, between Exhibition St and Spring St)
Phone: (03) 9662 2756
Hours: Mon-Fri 11am-11pm, Sat 5pm-11pm

No comments: