Sunday, March 08, 2009

Moomba Waterfest

The annual Melbourne Moomba festival was on this weekend. It runs for four days consecutively – Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday (labour day). It just ended with a bang (literally). I stood with my face pressed against my window watching the fireworks shoot into the sky. I let out a smile of reminiscence and even grinned to myself. I always loved the Moomba festival. I’ve been for every single one the past seven years, save the last two years.

I can’t quite put a finger to it. There’s something about the Moomba festival that always keep me excited. It certainly isn’t the greasy, overpriced hotdogs, the games that make me want to throw up or the ugly prizes (example, pirated oversized Tom the cat in the wrong shade of colour) that I want to throw away before I arrive home.

Yet every year, I buy the greasy food, sit on a ride that I swear I’ll never go on again and play some overpriced game (while secretly hoping deep down inside I do not win a huge ass toy).

Maybe it’s the time of the year – it’s the first quarter of the year when the year is still filled with renewed hope. Maybe it’s the crowd. Secretly, I love crowds. Not too big but just a nice, sweet, cozy crowd. Preferably, with kids and balloons. Also, it’s the fact that it’s next to the river. Anything with water is always calming and makes people happy. Or maybe, its just the cheesy funfair. Maybe, deep down inside, I like going on crappy funfair rides, eating greasy overpriced food and then complaining about all of it after with an alternate frown and grin to boot.

In summary, I love the Moomba festival. Actually, I just like funfairs. The last one I been to was three months ago in Malaysia. Again, against my better judgment, we sat on a ride that spun round and round, and it just wouldn't stop! After what seemed like forever, I got down and said, "I think I'm going to puke." I puked, not once but three times.

Again, in summary, I still love funfairs.

No comments: